MDI Hospital’s Rehabilitative Services Department offers a full range of therapeutic services for the treatment and prevention of injury and illness at two convenient locations. Our trained, skilled therapists provide a range of treatment options from physical therapy to occupational therapy and speech therapy.
We will work in collaboration with referring physicians to develop treatment plans and ensure that patient progress is communicated in a timely manner. We employ fully-licensed physical and occupational therapists with experience in the latest therapeutic techniques and a commitment to quality outcomes.
People experiencing the following can benefit from physical therapy: Joint and soft tissue injury; sports related injury; workplace injury; motor vehicle accident injury/trauma injuries; joint replacement; neck and back pain; pregnancy related musculoskeletal pain; osteoporosis/osteoarthritis; falls/risk assessment; cancer related fatigue
Occupational therapy helps people who have undergone surgery or had a traumatic physical or psychological event regain the ability to participate in the activities of everyday life. These include (but are not limited to) work, leisure, self-care, domestic and community activities. We develop a customized treatment program for each patient to improve your ability to perform daily activities. We will also prepare comprehensive home and job site evaluations with recommendations for adaptation.
Some of the health conditions that benefit from occupational therapy include:
- Work-related injuries including repetitive stress injuries
- Limitations following a stroke or heart attack
- Arthritis, multiple sclerosis, or other chronic conditions
- Birth injuries, learning problems, or developmental disabilities
- Mental health or behavioral problems including Alzheimer's disease, schizophrenia, and posttraumatic stress
- Burns, spinal cord injuries, or amputations
- Orthopedic upper extremity injuries
- Vision or cognitive problems that threaten the ability to drive
Our two locations, in Bar Harbor and Southwest Harbor provide convenient access to quality therapy services.